Monday, January 03, 2005

Alex's Book Club: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs

Yeah, yeah, I know I never finished my review of "The Da Vinci Code," and shouldn't be moving on to other books. Finish what I've started, you say! Well, here, let me ruin the book for you:

The Holy Grail is actually Mary Magdalene's bones, and proof that she was Jesus' wife and partner, not a prozzy. Also included are instructions on how to actually implement Christianity, not that stupid no women thing they currently use.

Oh, and you know what? Our heroes NEVER FIND THE HOLY GRAIL. Well, they find out where it is, but they don't look at it, or reveal it to the world, or anything. Far be it from an author to shake up reality in his FICTIONAL WORLD.

I died five times while reading that book.

In any case, on to something good.

So somebody, probably Chris or Stefan, left "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto," at my apartment after New Years. I think they left it either accidentally, or on purpose for my girlfriend to borrow. But oops, now I'm reading it.

1) This book, I think, was written specifically for me. Well, not for me, but if you're currently reading an online web log from a sketch comedy group, you'll be able to relate to this book.

2) This is the kind of writing that makes me annoyed I didn't write it. Or at least, the kind of writing I like to think I produce, but is really much better than anything I could bang out.

3) Its really funny. Like, LOL funny. But maybe not ROTFL funny.

Chuck Klosterman is a writer for Spin, among other noteworthy publications, and therefore, is unhealthy obsessed with pop culture. And, like most of us, has spent an exceedingly long period of time discussing and analyzing the minutiae of pop culture. But, perhaps differently from most of us, he’s actually taken the time to write a book about it.

Personally, I found most of his discussions fascinating, so I want to take the time to discuss each chapter individually. And since that means a very long post, I’m going to break up my review that way. By chapters. So there you go.

If you’re playing along at home, and want to discuss in the comments section, please do. But please only talk about the specific chapters, cause we don’t want to ruin the plot twists for everybody else, do we?

(In the Da Vinci Code, the cripple is also the bad guy manipulating everything, but it actually makes no difference to the plot anyway. Also, there's no plot. I hated that book, and I hate everybody who has ever read it, including myself.)

0 comments: