Monday, February 07, 2005

Land That I Love

Yesterday, after a pretty intense jam session, Stefan, Jerf and I found ourselves quietly recovering in front of Geoff's 61-inch behemoth television, waiting for all the nasty XXXIX action to begin.

That was when, in my opinion, the most entertaining television segment of the evening hit the screen (awesome Ameriquest commercial aside) . As a way to further embrace our American Pride, and also to welcome former Presidents Bush and Clinton to the game, Fox put together this strange historical reenactment of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. After a dozen awkward football players and humanitarians recited, phrase by phrase, the entire Declaration in various cities across the world, swelling orchestral music abounding, the segment settled on Ben Franklin and two other wigged dudes all looking over John Hancock's shoulder as he dramatically signed his name. And then they said something like this:

Madison: Why so large, John?

Hancock: So that old, fat George across the ocean can read it without his spectacles!

Franklin & Jefferson: HUZZAH!!!

Madison: Blah blah blah I don't remember the rest after that, but it was by far the most enthusiastic "huzzah" I've ever heard. I think the guy playing Ben Franklin even jumped in the air a little bit. Anyway, I'm pretty sure huzzah is one of those words that was said seriously only once, condemned to disuse and ridicule immediately afterwards. And I'm also pretty sure I've seen this Ben Franklin impersonator before, and that makes me a little sad for some reason.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that segment was a replay from the Super Bowl right after 9/11. Earlier in the day, my friend Ben and I were joking about how long and painful it was, and were both really excited to see it again. We couldn't remember the exclamation at the end (we were guessing "Bully!"), so this was a good refresher. Also all the founding fathers were holding their left arms in really awkward positions.

j