Wednesday, April 20, 2005

De La Vega

Gothamist interviews James de la Vega today. Wish it was a little longer and more thorough, but I'll take what I can get; he's a really cool and admirable guy.

I remember the first time ever seeing his work was on the stairs of Uris Library up in Ithaca. There were all these short philisophical messages drawn in chalk along the steps and walkways, all signed "DE LA VEGA." I thought it was pretty cool that someone would take the time to that and it definitely made an impression, but it wasn't until a couple of years later when I saw the same small messages down in Union Square that I learned more about him. Turns out, he graduated from Cornell a while back, and since then has created a real following down in NYC.

Here's an online gallery of some of his work, also via Gothamist.

0 comments: