Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Half-Assynesthesia

I had raw oysters for the first time ever last night, and I don’t think I’ll ever actively seek them out again. However, I did enjoy them for one reason: they tasted like the sensation of swimming underwater in the ocean.

At the time, I knew there was a word to kinda describe this, but I couldn’t think of it until this morning. It’s called synesthesia, and according to this article from a few years back, it’s an unusual phenomenon whereby people experience different senses blending into one another.

Now I’m not claiming to have synesthesia or anything, though I really, really wish I did. I read somewhere that John Mayer has it, and who doesn’t wanna be like John Mayer?

In truth, the oyster thing was probably more of a half-ass-synesthesiac experience, and I’m sure it’s similar to something that all of you (my fellow non-mutants) may have also experienced in one form or another.

But in any case, I definitely wish I could feel synesthesia more often. How cool would it be to eat cookies and taste what a barn looks like? Or to smell a flower and feel like your petting puppies? Yeah. That’d be nice. Who doesn’t like petting puppies? I read somewhere that John Mayer doesn’t.

Which reminds me: I like John Mayer. So there! I said it. He’s a great guitarist, a solid song writer, and a smart and funny guy. Now, I’m not gay, and I'm not in love with him or anything (many of his songs are cheesy and overproduced) but given how much I don’t like people back-lashing against a musician just because he's mainstream, I might even be convinced to kiss John Mayer. ‘Cause when you kiss people with synesthesia, they might see rainbows. And I think that’d be cool. To make John Mayer see a rainbow.

Yeah.

Maybe I should have kept that to myself.

8 comments:

Alex said...

I would like to touch John Mayer's meat package.

Jeff said...

I think your Wash. Post link is broken, Buddy Chris!

Vladimir Nabokov was synesthetic in the classical way (having certain sounds and tonalities evoke the visualization of certain colors) and many people believe this aided him in producing his amazing descriptive passages.

And I officially paid too much attention in Russian Lit. 375 three years ago.

christopher said...

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

aka Erika says:

Well you know what they say about oysters being aphrodisiacs.... There's obviously something about John Mayer that makes you hot. C'mon Chris, is it his boyish charm? The way he handles his instrument? Fess up, we're all open minded people here. You can talk about your "rainbow" pride with us.
ps. is smelling teen spirit synesthetic?

Anonymous said...

[cough] [cough] stefan [cough]

Stefan said...

I think what Kath is indicating with her coughing is that I'm *mildly* synesthetic -- I automatically get images and colors when I listen to music, and different words and letters are associated with various colors (i.e. I can tell you what color words are). It's not THAT dramatic, but there's enough crossover that I find it kinda interesting...

The word chew is yellow.

christopher said...

Do you see rainbows when you kiss?

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Stefan sees rainbows when other people kiss.