Monday, June 27, 2005

Cool Or Lame?

So I watched SNL this weekend and it was a repeat of the 2nd-to-last episode this season, where Will Ferrell hosted with musical guest Queens of the Stone Age. QoSA unsurprisingly started with "Little Sister," the first single off their new album.

About a third of the way into the song, Will Ferrell, dressed in full Blue Oyster Cult cowbell-character "Gene" regalia, starts banging away at his cowbell and undulating much like he did in the 2000 sketch.

Now the cowbell does indeed play a prominent role in the song itself. And at the end, Josh Homme the lead singer and guitarist for QoSA preened a little bit with Will Ferrell, making it seem like the whole thing was at his request.

Cool or lame?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you need to do funner stuff on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

Cool if it was a bit that the band was cool with, infinitely lame if it wasn't. I'm guessing it was cool.

Had the rest of the band been dressed up as BOC? Unquestionably cool.

christopher said...

Yeah, I agree with Ross.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the bandmembers themselves approached Will about doing it.

It's pretty cool how that "more cowbell" sketch has achieved this strange, cult-like status. Wonder if there are any other more recent sketches that have done the same.

mary said...

i don't know... i want it to be cool, but when urban outfitters starts selling vintage-looking t-shirts that say "MORE COWBELL" in Comic Sans, it's kind of a blow to my pop culture ego. it makes me feel bad about myself somehow...

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think it's reached "I'm Rick James, bitch!" status. It's pretty funny, I guess, but I'm tired of hearing about it.

Chris Serico said...

I think the last gasp for Gene was perfect. Having Will Ferrell host and not bringing Gene back would have been a let-down, but any more cameos in future sketches or movies would be too much.

That said, I officially retired my Gene Frenkel cowbell .gif as my main MySpace photo.