Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Eminently Quotable

The best movie quotes of all time, because the American Film Institute said so. I like the ones that end in periods rather than exclamation points, just because they seem way more lame that way. Like #85.

This is odd, cuz Chris and I were just talking about movie quotes. I used to be a mad quoter in high school, less for movies and more for TV shows like Simpsons and MST3K. By the time I got to college I guess I started thinking it was beneath me. I mean, why say something someone else said/wrote, when I can just make every word that comes out of my mouth amazing and original? Because I'm a pompous asshole, that's why.

I think the moral of this story is quote movies all the time, non-stop. In fact, try not to use any words that aren't part of a movie quote. You talkin' to me? Houston, we have a problem. I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

3 comments:

Baz said...

apparently "up there it's their time. it's their time up there. down here it's our time...but it's all over once you go up troy's bucket" isn't the greatest movie quote of all time. what gives?

whatever. this is why i don't give any afi top 100 that doesn't include "dustin checks in" a second thought.

Chris Serico said...

Hear hear, Baz!

I personally take exception to any list that doesn't feature "We came! We saw! We kicked its ass!" or "This chick is TOAST!"

Geoff, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say, "YES!"

Alex said...

Here's an actual problem I have with movie quotes:

They're never attributed to their writer.

It's always the character, the actor, or movie. Cause, you know, nobody actually WROTE those lines.

Sigh.