Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Summer Reading List

Ah, summer. The time when a young man's fancy turns to books. Here's what's on my reading list so far this summer:

Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - About 200 pages in, and it is very, very good. Rowlings continues to be a great, inventive, engaging author. I was wondering though, how well these will be regarded as classics in, say, 100 years. I think they will, but are the popular books of the time always the ones that become classics? No, they're not.

A Long Way Down - I love Nick Hornby. Like, in love, love him. While his last two books (including this) have not been as stellar as "High Fidelity" or "About a Boy," he continues to hilariously mine the human psyche. I'm not going to tell you what this book is about, because I think that's part of the fun of the first few chapters, but I will say that it did get me on a personal gut level. And, his character portraits are absolutely, brilliantly realized.

Killing Yourself to Live : 85% of a True Story - I wasn't totally sold on his last book, but enough of it was good enough to make me want to pick this up. Its a much more focused look at why people (rock stars) are more famous after they're dead.

Superstud : Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin - Paul Feig's memoir of growing up awkwardly is highly recommended by Monica Hill. Also, by other reviewers. This one's getting read right after Harry Potter.


So, Blog... What's in YOUR reading list*?

*So I can borrow those books from you.

1 comments:

Caitlin Bee said...

I'm trying to read fiction, followed by a non-fiction somehow related to the previous read fiction. For example: One Hundred Years of Solitude was followed by Latin America: Interviews with Noam Chomsky. Get it? My hope is that it will keep me smart. I hope I can find something after reading harry potter.