Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I Went To A Sufjan Stevens Concert Last Night

That means I'm cool now.

Right?

Highlights:

-the opening act, Half-Handed Cloud. I didn't like them, but they were certainly entertaining what with them being crazy and switching instruments mid-song and playing an "Omnichord," which is apparently a musical instrument circa 1982.

-the second act, The Danielson Famile. They were actually very good. They made the audience clap sixteenth notes, which was interesting. But I didn't like that they were all dressed like nurses. I thought that was a little stupid. But the music was good, and that's all that matters.

-Sufjan and his cronies came out dressed as a pep squad. Very cute. Speaking of very cute, one of his singer/xylophonists is breath-takingly beautiful. I've reasoned that it's not objectification if you literally fall in love with someone. I want to marry her. Man. Bottom right.

-If you're not aware, Sufjan Stevens has said he is going to make an album for each state. He's all the way up to...two. Michigan and Illinois. Anyway, as a kind of framer, he opened the set with a song about the fifty states which you can listen to here. Predictably, when he got to mentioning New York, the place went nuts. My scathingly witty retort? "That's the state WE'RE in!" Boy did my friends laugh!

-They did my favorite song! Wooo! I love you Sufjan! Your face is pretty!

5 comments:

christopher said...

All J's should sound like Y's.

Caitlin Bee said...

And Sufjan loves YOU, Geoff. And Sufjan loves you.

Also, did you cry at all at the show? Because I almost did, and my friend did.

Alex said...

So its pronounced Suf-yan, not Suf-john?

Geoffrey said...

Indeed. Actually to be more precise it's Soof-yahn, or Soof for short, as the opening acts kept repeatedly calling him.

Anonymous said...

you're not the only one who things that chick is hot. she's a model. also, sufjan is really into jesus, but maybe not jesusball but maybe jesus' balls.