Friday, April 14, 2006

LLOL

I know there's a lot of negative feelings toward lol, but I for one approve fully it's original intent: to inform someone that they are funny. That is a nice thing.

Unfortunately, lol has been usurped in meaning and has all the information of a "nice" or "ok" at this point in its relatively short (cosmically) life. So I propose a new internet acronym:

llol

That would be a literal laugh out loud, or "literally laughing out loud!" conversationally.

Thus it is indicated that you have actually laughed out loud and have not copped out with a placeholder response.

Cough.

I think too much about AIM conversations.

4 comments:

Geoffrey said...

Alternate meaning: "llama out loud!"

Jonathan Harford said...

I just looked up LOL in Wikipedia, and it mentions "IAL": ial stands for "I am Laughing" or "I actually laughed". The word was created after people were annoyed that lol is commonly overused even when a person is not laughing. ial is used when someone actually laughs in response to what has been said.

LROFL!

Jonathan Harford said...

See also:

The "LOL" handsign:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanl/126049052/

Swear. I just stumbled across it just now. I haven't been researching LOL all day.

Caitlin Bee said...

wait... sometimes people DON'T like it when I use AIM speak ALL the time?

huh. :-(