Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ring Tones

Well, this is disturbing. NYC area school children have started using a ring tone only audible if you're below the age of 24.

Actually, that's not entirely true... It's MOSTLY audible to people with young ears, or people who have a higher threshold for hearing high pitched, awful tones.

There's a NY Times article about it, and they've linked the audio of the ring-tone in mp3 format, so you can listen.

I will say, I can't specifically hear it, but I do get a weird feeling of pressure in my ears, and after listening three times, I feel like my heads about to pop. I can't imagine for someone who can actually hear it that it would be pleasant to get tons of text messages with this thing on.

Via The Hater.

4 comments:

miss.marni said...

i can TOTALLY hear that - and if it were happening in my classroom i would have to throttle someone.

miss.marni said...

near my parents' house in queens there's a house that always has this tone coming from it. i don't know if it's a keep-the-moles-away type device or what, but i know that it makes my brain want to shoot out of my head, and my parents can't hear it at all (neither of them).

Anonymous said...

i can hear it, too. yikes.

Tim said...

I believe the tone originated as some sort of mosquito repellant, but could be wrong. Stores used it initially to keep kids away, and then some kid used it to make a ring tone.