Friday, December 17, 2004

"Then came the orange truck...shining like the sun..."

For the past two months or so, I've been buying my morning getback at the wonderful, beautiful Mudtruck on Astor Place. It's usually the same couple of dudes in the truck, all bundled up, happily distributing coffee to the same, long line of anxious caffeine-seekers. Yesterday, however, marked a critical point in my coffee dude/coffee buyer relationship.

Yesterday was the first time the guy remembered exactly how I like my coffee without me saying a single word.

Now, this might seem like a good thing. I definitely love the idea of just saying, "Hey man, the usual" and getting...well...my usual. And don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of having friends. Huge. I'm just horrible horrible horrible at the whole casual acquaintance thing. 'Cause that's where it all gets complicated.

What if, one day, I want to try something different? When my valiant coffee dude offers me up my "usual," am I to reject both his generous offer and kind gesture for what--a mocha? Of course not. But what's the other alternative? A fate of small coffees (milk and a little sugar) forever and ever and ever? I certainly can't go anywhere else. Besides the fact that the MT makes the best getback ever, if I did try a different place where would I possibly go? One of the generic green coffee monsters around the block(s)? I'd be betraying everything my Mudtruck friends stand for. And how could I knowingly crush another human's spirit like that, especially when their my casual customer acquaintance?

I just can't win.

Check out the Mudtruck's great website. You can taste their philosophy in their brew.

Also, Seinfeld's now available on DVD.

Sigh.

3 comments:

Alex said...

That's really weird, because today was the first day the Mudtruck dudes remembered what I usually get. Seriously.

However, I only occasionally want a bagel from them, so that must be confusing (they're bagels are delicious, btw, H&H maybe?)

Its also kind of weird that both Chris and I get coffee from the Mudtruck in the morning, probably just one hour off from bumping into each other.

Alex said...

"They are bagels are delicious..." is what I just typed. Frickin' homonyms.

Geoffrey said...

It feels like I'm right there, sitting across the booth from you at "Restaurant".

On another note, this really felt like an Alex post most of the way. Chris, you and Alex should date.