Friday, January 28, 2005

Caffeine Buzz

While reading Harvard Health Publications, I stumbled upon this article about coffee and its health effects. Okay, okay fine. I really found it as one of those stupid msn articles that pops up right next to your hotmail, but didn't I seem impressively thorough for a second there?

And guess what my chicken-butts: Coffee's good for you now maybe?!

Some interesting facts I'm now accepting as reality:

  • In 1674, women, who weren’t allowed in London coffeehouses, petitioned to ban coffee, claiming it made their men impotent.
  • A potentially fatal oral dose of caffeine is estimated to be 10–14 grams (about 100 cups of coffee).
  • Research found that lifetime coffee intake is associated with better cognitive performance by women (but not men). But there was NO relationship found between cognitive function and decaffeinated coffee consumption dar dar duh.


This post contained one Interrobang.

6 comments:

Alex said...

The 100 cups of coffee thing is interesting (NOT interrobang), because it was a plot point in a freaking hilarious season 4 episode of Futurama.

Due to a silk surplus, everybody on Earth gets $300 refunded. Fry decides to spend his on 100 cups of coffee, which, throughout the episode, is tallyed in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Anyway, its fantastic.

Alex said...

Also, I'm already on my second large coffee of the day. Does that count as two, or four?

christopher said...

Well, I wouldn't know as I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN FUTURAMA VOLUME FOUR 'CAUSE NO ONE WILL LEND IT TO ME, JEFF.

But anyway. It's about 100 mg of caffeine per 8 oz cup (drip-brewed).

Sounds to me like you only have 97 more ounces to go until some genuine, warm God-embracin'.

miss.marni said...

they replayed that very episode of futurama on the cartoon network last night. i know, cuz i watched it. again.

Geoffrey said...

I have to say it. An interrobang is a question mark superimposed on an exclamation point.

?! is not an interrobang.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hold back any longer.

christopher said...

Geoff, you're absolutely correct, but for all intents and (intensive) purposes, I'm choosing to ignore you.

Until the computer gurus give me an appropriate key on my keyboard, an "Interrobang" will be an "?!".