Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Robin Williams Does NOT Suck

Yes, the rumors I forgot to start are true: We met Robin Williams this weekend.

He came out to see his friend Rick Overton perform with Totally Looped (which was very funny, by the way), and therfore saw us opening for 'em.

Anyway, not only did he buy an EL t-shirt, but held open the door for people on the way out of the show, and encouraged them to take the stickers I was handing out, saying, "Support comedy! Take a sticker!" Which was very cool.

He was totally nice, told me he really liked our show, AND was a great laugher. So there you are then.

Now, I hesitate to sully the support-a-thon that is this post, but Chris thought there was probably a lot of tension in the room, what with the Genie from Aladdin (Robin Williams), and the Genie from Aladdin 2 (Dan Castallaneta) both being present. Awkward!

5 comments:

Geoffrey said...

Not to be an insecure, credit-grubbing maniac, but I was the first to notice that the two voices of the Genie were in the same room, probably (not) hating each other.

Just to continue the theme of "Geoff is Petty", I'm incredibly jealous that Alex got to talk to Robin Williams, if only briefly.

christopher said...

Sorry, dude. If Alex posted it, it's true. And you know what that means: I'm the funniest man alive!

You can fight me for it, if you'd like.

Alex said...

Sorry, Geoff. I'll publish a retraction in our next issue.

And for the record, Mr. Williams and I only chatted for about a minute. But in that minute, we had 50 conversations.

My favorite reference to his presence over the weekend was either from Chris (who I seriously can't get enough of... Is that guy funny, or what?), or Cole (who was one of the producers/formerly of hit sketch group Totally False People), when they called him "Mr. One Hour Photo himself!"

...which I think is particularly funny, because it has the structure of a snarky insult, but "One Hour Photo" actually wasn't a bad movie, so it isn't an insult, which for some reason makes it funnier.

This has been your confusing comedy lesson of the day.

Geoffrey said...

Oh man. I was also the one who called him Mr. One-Hour Photo. Jeez.

Am I going crazy? Do I exist?

christopher said...

FUNNIEST MAN ALIVE!

Will no one challenge me?!