Thursday, January 06, 2005

Zachary Sucks!

Fresh from the MSN Family newswire:

The Top 10 Baby Names of 2004 (vs. 2003)

Girls' names
1. Emma (Emily)
2. Madison (Emma)
3. Emily (Madison)
4. Kaitlyn (Hannah)
5. Hailey (Hailey)
6. Olivia (Sarah)
7. Isabella (Kaitlyn)
8. Hannah (Isabella)
9. Sarah (Olivia)
10. Abigail (Abigail)

Boys' names
1. Jacob (Jacob)
2. Aidan (Aidan)
3. Ethan (Ethan)
4. Ryan (Matthew)
5. Matthew (Nicholas)
6. Michael (Joshua)
7. Tyler (Ryan)
8. Joshua (Michael)
9. Nicholas (Zachary)
10. Connor (Tyler)

I feel a bit conflicted about Emma's displacing of Emily as the new #1 for girls. You see, Emma is my golden retriever's name. And Emily is my cousin's name. And on a side note, I actually like the name Sofia better than both Emma and Emily. And Sofia, interestingly enough, is the name of my cousin Emily's cat. And Emma the dog and Sofia the cat may have met before. But to be honest, I can't say that for certain.

Amusingly, I found this story in the Baby & Pregnancy subsection of the MSN Family website, where they have this decent baby-naming game-like thing. BE WARNED: There may be an ad with a freaky growing fetus and a huge safety pin.

8 comments:

Alex said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure Emma HAS met Sofia.

christopher said...

I can't tell you how relieved I am that Emma and Sofia's meeting wasn't like the time Jeff, Geoff and I "wrote that sketch."

miss.marni said...

and how confusing is it that the butler calls emily "emma"? i'm never going to solve this mystery before chris does. this is almost as well written as "the da vinci code".

Alex said...

I was actually thinking last night that I should do a plot point by plot point remake of the Da Vinci Code, but write it even more retarded than Dan Brown could (if thats possible).

"Sophie Neveu was a beautiful woman. She was wearing clothes on her body and legs. Robert reeled with horror at the thought of excitement at looking at her while she was a brilliant cryptologist."

Anonymous said...

Somewhere on the Social Security website (www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames) there's a list of the top 1000 names per year since 1990, and some more baby-name stats. If Emily has in fact been displaced as #1, it is a monumental upset, like Douglas over Tyson, or Hanks over Scolari. When we were looking at names, the 2002 list quoted 24,000 Emilys and only 16K Emmas. If you go back to the 70s and 80s, you understand why there needs to be 18 nicknames for Jennifers.

The 2003 top 1000 is actually a good time. A slice:
#676: Alexzander
#696: Draven (Prof. Frink's son, I assume)
#702: German (this might be a German name)
#706: Stefan
#707: Xzavier

Oof.
-Stefan D.

Anonymous said...

What no Odysseus? I don't understand you Americans. Such shallow names. No backbone. No history.

I continue my journey but... as my good friend Jerry would say, "What a long strange trip this' been!"

Stefan said...

Sigh. Nobody wants to be named Stefan. Maybe it's because you'll get your name misspelled nine times out of ten, often times by people who have known you for years.

miss.marni said...

i totally sympathize.
~marni