Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Biloxi Boo-Boos***

Sigh. I'm not making fun of this disaster, seriously*. I'm making fun of this guy. From the New York Times:

"This is our tsunami," Mayor A. J. Holloway of Biloxi, Miss., told The Biloxi Sun Herald.
Oh yeah? This hurricane is your tsunami? Is it also your earthquake? Somebody help me out here, I couldn't think of a good inane comparison statement.**

Update! So naturally, the New York Post went with "Our Tsunami" as their cover story this morning. Good work guys.

*I was yesterday, but not today.

**Yes, I understand what he's, in essence, saying. Its still a stupid way of saying it.

***I apologize for this awful title. I'm sleepy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mayor's assistant afterward confided to the reporter that "He [the mayor] is our George Bush."

Anonymous said...

American People unable to use 'metphor'

Here's another great quote for you, from an AP story:

August 30,2005 | NEW ORLEANS -- With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" -- the radio code for police -- and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."