Monday, August 01, 2005

Down the Donut Hole

I've officially become posessed. As short time readers of this blog know, I've recently become fascinated by the idea of ordering a donut sandwich, preferably egg & cheese on a donut, or just a regular cheese sandwich.

What's stopping me is the mild embarassment/fear of flat out refusal of ordering it in a store, and the fact that I could buy a box of donuts at home, but then I'd have a whole box of donuts I'd have to eat. And nobody likes a little piggy.

Anywho, now you're up to speed. I've actually been thinking about having a donut sandwich every morning now, and am very close to breaking down and just ordering one. But in the meantime, I decided I would engage in a time honored EL Blog tradition, and do a little research. Here's what I discovered:

  • In 1943 The Doughnut Corporation of America released a pamphlet entitled The Nourish-Meter. In this pamphlet was included a recipe for a "Donut Luncheon Main Dish," which consisted of creamy vegetable soup on a toasted donut. Click here for more info

  • If you're interested in reading a short history of the Doughnut Corporation of America, which was based in NYC until the 1980's, check here.

  • There's a chain through most of the South called Shipley Do-nuts that serves a ham and cheese kolache, which is categorized as a donut, but looks more like a danish or croissant. Also, I don't consider things sandwiches if they aren't made of several seperate pieces. You can find Shipley Do-Nuts here, here, and here, as well as many other fine locations.

  • Also, there's a Kolache Festival in Caldwell, the Kolache Capital of Texas.

  • The dictionary defines sandwich as: "Two or more slices of bread with a filling such as meat or cheese placed between them." So a Kolache isn't really a sandwich. It also isn't really a donut, because a donut is, "A small ring-shaped cake made of rich, light dough that is fried in deep fat. Also called olicook."

  • Olicook is Dutch for "oil cake." Other Dutch words that have survived from colonial times until the present are "kill," meaning a small stream, and "stoop," which is in front of a building.

So where does that leave us? I now want to sit on my stoop by the kill, and eat an Olicook/Vegetable Soup Sandwich. That should be MUCH easier to do.

0 comments: