Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The 00's

I was watching the Fuse music video channel yesterday and happened upon a show counting down the top ten videos from the 90's. I picked it up at #2, Green Day's "Longview," certainly an excellent music video as far as those things go. I guess.

Anyway, the VJ dude came up and said "Well that was Green Day with the #2 video and that means we have only the top video from the 90's to go..." I made a quick mental guess at #1 and went with Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Sure enough, it was.

That got me to thinking. Whenever anyone talks about music in the 90's and lists the best album or video or song or whatever, there are really only two possibilities: Nirvana's "Nevermind" and Radiohead's "OK Computer." That's basically it. If anyone says anything different, they're mainly saying it to be different and include those two in the top five at least.

I continued thinking and thought that I couldn't really do the same with the 00's. I mean, everyone complains about how hodgepodge the 90's were, but that decade's got NOTHING on this one, man. I bet if you asked ten people what the best album of the 00's were, you'd get ten different responses...and we're just over halfway done.

Me? I'd go with Various Artist's "NOW That's What I Call Music 18." It's got 20 of my favorite chart-topping hits!

11 comments:

Baz said...

a quasi-respite from yr charting trauma: pitchfork's best of the 90's. ok computer is #1, but nevermind is NOT in the top 5. it's #6.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but TWO pavement albums? Come on.

-- kathy

Alex said...

Well, Nevermind came out in 1991, but OK Computer didn't come out until 1997. By your logic, Geoff, we should only have one easy to name seminal album by now.

First thing that comes to my mind is something by Eminem, possibly Marshall Mathers LP?

Alex said...

Btw, my number one album for the 90s is "The Simpsons Sing the Blues."

Anonymous said...

So that's what we're calling it - the 00's. Is that pronounced ooh's or oh's?

Geoffrey said...

I would go with "the zero's". Any time you work a z in there, I'm happy.

I would also go with Outkast's "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below."

Baz said...

don't hate on those pavement albums. anything after crooked rain is fair game, but those two are edible platinum (blog-joke callback!).

i'm calling these days "the aughts", you know, like prospectors and pioneers called the 1900-1909's.

John Boyle said...

As I am from Seattle I cannot allow you to defame Kurdt and Nirvana's Nevermind which is "The Greatest Record Known to Mankind."™

Anonymous said...

Let's face it nobody is calling this decade anything (not the zeros, not the aughts, not the o's or the oohs)which corresponds to Geoff's point that its music lacks identity.

Caitlin Bee said...

duh guys. "Has Been" by William Shatner.

I bet a close runner up is "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco.

Just wanted to get those in there.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, thanks for teaching us about music - what's good, what's bad, all of it.

dusty