Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Caveman Jesus


Well, the Yankees signed Johnny Damon to a 4-year, $52 million contract last night.

Why this is good:
-He's only 32, meaning his next coupla years will probably be good.
-He used to play for the Boston Red Sox. That means that at the same time as the Yankees getting Johnny Damon, the Red Sox lose Johnny Damon. That's like signing two Johnny Damons!

Why this isn't isn't good:
-He's already 32, meaning the last two years of his deal will come when he is 34 and 35, which doesn't sound that old but is a bit old in baseball terms, particularly in speedy baseball player terms.
-He used to play for the Boston Red Sox. The 2004 Boston Red Sox. I've never hated a team more than I've hated the 2004 Boston Red Sox. Now I'm supposed to root for the guy who hit two HR's in the clinching Game 7 against the Yankees for the 2004 Boston Red Sox? Whatever.

I am mixed about this deal.

4 comments:

Chris Serico said...

Knowing that the Damon-on-the-Yankees possibility could become a reality, I watched part of his segment on MTV's Cribs. Not exactly his best display of off-field behavior.

Still, I'll take him. As a speedy and true lead-off hitter, he puts Jeter back in the 2-hole, where he belongs. Plus, we only signed him for four years, which is reasonable considering his notoriously greedy agent was pushing for seven. Last, George will probably make him shave that ridiculous woodsman beard.

As much as Bubby Crosby is a fan favorite(?), Bubba's batting average isn't.

I will say, however, I was hoping for a long-shot Ichiro trade.

Chris Serico said...

I just wrote "Bubby Crosby." I think that's Bubba's cousin.

miss.marni said...

bubby crosby would be bubba's jewish grandma.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, Geoff, I'm from Boston, and I really hate this deal.