Monday, March 13, 2006

Survivorman

TV programs my brother and I flipped through this past Saturday night:

-Saturday Night Live. Matt Dillon was not great.

-Channels of Peace. This was on the Prayer Network (channel 97 in Manhattan, number 1 in your hearts). This consisted of slow close-ups of crucifixes and cross-eyed portraits of Jesus with Latin being spoken in the background. Though we are Catholics, this "show" freaked us out to no end.

What took the cake though was Survivorman. Survivorman basically dumps this guy Les Stroud in the middle of a forbidding, desolate landscape of some sort and gives him seven days to survive and/or make it back to "town" before everyone starts looking for him and embarking on a rescue mission. Also, they give him cameras to film it.

And boy does he know it! This show is basically just a half-hour of him complaining about how heavy the camera equipment is. I'm not even exaggerating. You'd think he'd be hungry with only a little bit of raw seal meat to eat or cold what with the subzero temperatures and all. Nope! He's just superwhiny about what MAKES THIS A TELEVISION SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not angry. It's an hiLARious show. Our favorite parts were the dramatic pauses along the lines of:

"I'd better find myself something to eat...or I'll be dead."

or

"My impromptu igloo was the only thing standing between me...and death."

This show is highly recommended.

PS Since it was Survivor Weekend on Discovery Channel, we also watched info about this thing that blew our minds. I'll give you a hint as to what it's about: in order to find this story I googled "woman whose parachute didn't open who was pregnant".

0 comments: