Friday, July 21, 2006

baby's first IDM

So, my buddy Elijah is an electronic musician, and I guess the genre of music he makes would be called IDM (Intelligent Dance Music). I never knew all that much about that kinda stuff, but now I like some of it (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc.).

Anyway, Elijah told me that he was once challenged to create an entire piece of music using only audio sample. He was given a clip of one snare drum beat, and he processed it and processed it using all different kinds of audio filters, compressors, pitch shifters, etc., and made it sound like different kinds of instruments, producing a miniature song in the end.

I thought that was pretty neat, so I tried the same exercise a couple of days ago, using only one trumpet note. I tried to process it enough so that it would sound like drums, keyboards, etc.

Here it is! It's kinda fun! YAY!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey wait a second buddy - that sounds like more than one trumpet note to me. Who you trying to kid?