Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One More Nail In The Dork Coffin

Yesterday I went to my local comic book store and asked for a title I’ve been meaning to read for a while now. And when I did, all the dudes behind the counter looked at each other a bit confusedly. After repeating the title two or three times, it was pretty clear that none of them had even heard of it. Also, they didn’t have it.

It was while walking out, a bit disappointed, that I realized: I had just crossed a subtle yet distinct line in the journey of my personal identity. Apparently, now I’m the guy who asks for comic books so obscure that even the stereotypically obsessed comic book store staff people haven’t even heard of them.

This may take some getting used to. If anyone wants me, I’ll probably be with Alex.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, what was the title?

I recently had to stop collecting. I walked in to pick up 2 months of books in my box...$300.

And that was the last time I set foot in a comic book store.

My first comic book was GI-Joe #24. It cost 45 cents. 3 months worth cost about $50.

Comics are bullshit.

christopher said...

Fray, by Joss Whedon. Honestly, I was surprised none of them had heard of it. I was actually expecting them to cop an attitude because it was too “mainstream” or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's your lucky day, Christopher. Being an unabashed Joss Whedon fanatic, I just happen to own said comic book.

You are welcome to borrow it when you come to Portland-town. You can read it and send it back to me when you're done.

DORKS RULE!

christopher said...

Nice... Let's just keep this our little secret.

miss.marni said...

have you asked alex if he has this title? i'd be really surprised if he doesn't...today IS wednesday, after all....

Anonymous said...

I just became a comics fan anew after a 10-year hiatus (if you must know, it was because of some friends I had that kept talking about how awesome Civil War was going to be until I succumbed to peer pressure.), and I am just so tickled that such a character as Matter Eater Lad was allowed to exist. And furthermore, that he was allowed to exist with a codename of the type that a sketch comedian would give him (Also, see The Elongated Man). These days, he'd have been given a name like ShadowGut, or The Savage Goat, or Hellthroat.

Anyway, I can't think the words "Mattet Eater Lad" without smiling, so thanks for making me smile.