Friday, September 29, 2006

This Blogpost Has Been Rated R By The Blog Post Association Of America

Just listening to some radio and to my extreme delight, Panic At The Disco's "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" came on. I'm not sure how much I actually like this song, but it's such an oddity to me that I definitely enjoy it. But that's not the point of this blogpost.

The point is at one point in the song, the singer tries to sing the word "goddamn":

I'd chime in with "Haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door?"

But because it's on radio, it gets half-bleeped into "pause-damn door."

Now it's clear to me why they bleep it and everything. But for the life of me, everytime I hear that word bleeped in two like that, I think that there was a curse word actually worth bleeping there originally. Like this guy got SO MAD that these people called his bride-t0-be a whore that he invents all new curse words.

"Haven't you people ever heard of closing the fuckin'-damn door?"

Or the "shit-damn door."

Or "cock-damn door."

Or worse, that I feel would actually give this blogpost more of a NC-17 rating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard the explanation, but I've never agreed with the censoring of the phrase "God-damn," when both words by themselves are suitable for air.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about Johnny Cash's live, edited recording of A Boy Named Sue from the San Quentin album. "I'm the beeeeeeeeep that named you Sue." Was SOB really that bad, even in the late sixties? (he asked, abbreviating the objectionable.) Also, the edited version cut a "damn" at the end of the song -- cut, as in you can't tell it was ever there. But it was there. That edited tape is an edited tape of lies.
SD