Tuesday, October 21, 2008

JP3


So I watched a morsel of Jurassic Park 3 on, I'm guessing, TNT the other day.  It was some point in the beginning/middle of the movie, where Alan Grant's assistant steals the velociraptor eggs and they're still looking for William H. Macy and Tea Leoni's kid.  You know the part I'm talking about.

Anyway, they come across an abandoned complex in a valley.  The Macy/Leoni kid is a smart one, so William H. is under the impression that he would seek shelter there.  He makes his point thusly:

"He's gotta be down there!  I'd bet my bottom dollar!"

Now I haven't seen JP3 since it was released in 2001.  And yet once I heard this line, I was immediately transported back to my thought process at the time.  It went a little something like this:  How in God's name did this line make it into a major motion picture?

Here is my only theory.  This line isn't just bad: it is ironically funny.  I snickered every (both) time I heard that line.  This line is too bad to actually be written that way.  So that means William H. Macy decided to say this line.  Why?  Because it was so stupid.  Because it was an inside joke to himself.  

Now here is the sad (or not a big deal) fact: it got put into the movie.  At no point did the director say "don't say that line, it's stupid".  At no point did the editor go "Well, we can't use that take, that line is too stupid."  At no point did a fellow castmate go "Hey, William.  Don't say that line.  It's stupid."  At no point did William H. Macy himself go "Maybe I shouldn't say this stupid line.  It's really quite stupid."  OK, OK, maybe one of these things happened; but not enough to not have it in the movie.

Here I have two theories: One, everyone was too lazy to take William H. Macy's joke out of the movie.  Two, everyone was rolling their eyes at this silly movie so much, they felt that this line belonged/wasn't a big enough deal to take out.

If it's theory two, I have no problem with that.

1 comments:

N K said...

It's a metaphor. Duh.