Thursday, November 18, 2004

No Alarms and No Surprises...

A daily part of my routine has been ruined for me recently, and it's just not fair.

So, in the spirit of reckless retaliation, I'm hoping to ruin it for everyone else too. Here goes...

You know the subway "Bing, Bong" theme? Oh, you know the one...

Conductor: "Stand clear of the closing doors, please!"
Subway Doors Closing Theme: "Bing, Bong"

Well, that "Bing, Bong" is the same musical interval as the begining of "No Surprises" by everyone's favorite band, Radiohead.

Do you know what I'm talking about? That song off of OK Computer? It's the same thing! Really, it is! I think it's a minor third or something and I'm not crazy! Jerf? Back me up? Please?

Now, understand that when I say the "Bing, Bong" has been "ruined," I don't really mean "ruined." It's not like it was all that aurally pleasant to begin with. And if you like Radiohead, it's actually kind of cool at first 'cause "No Surprises" is a really great tune. But I promise you, that "kind of cool" gradually turns into a "Hey that's mildly annoying" and eventually into a "Yeah I wish I hadn't noticed that at all" sorta thing and that's where I am now.

Regardless, now the very first thing I have to do everyday at work, just to get that stupid song out of my head, is listen to Track 10 of OK Computer. Thankfully, this does a perfect job of counteracting my morning coffee buzz with a mildly depressive reminder of the world's true grays, a la Radiohead.

Thanks Thom. Thanks MTA.

Bastards.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

in DC, the metro "ding dong" is the same interval as the first two notes of "swing low, sweet chariot," which is ironic when you realize how unreliable and awful the DC metro system is.

-jake!