Tuesday, January 25, 2005

San Francisco Sucks

Why? Because it's the first city to ever make me feel that it might be even slightly possible for me to live somewhere other than New York City. (To be fair, Seattle came close, but faded with time...)

What a great place. We had beautiful weather, great tourguides, saw some amazing acts, and took some killer hero shots. And of my list of stereotypical expectations, I saw everything but Rice-a-Roni and the Full House, um, House.

But honestly, the impression that stuck with me most were the HILLS. We first drove into the city via the Bay Bridge, and I was all like, "Um hello? Skyline? Anybody?" But then we made some turn and there they were: the hills. I just started laughing. Having been New York-based for so long, I didn't realize that urban space could actually be shaped like that. So ridiculous. We should get some serious y-axis action here in NYC, pronto. And pronto means immediately.

Sorry I don't have any photos to post up here, but I still don't have one of those digital cameras yet. Stefan? Alex? Don't be jerks and share all that pixelated love, will ya?

4 comments:

Alex said...

Jeez, the super-secret San Fran slideshow will be ready for tomorrow. Get off my back, ya hill lover.

Anonymous said...

See!?! That's why I hate SF. First it stole the beloved New York Giants back in '58. Now it's threatening to steal our beloved Elephant Larry. Already it seems that 2o% of EL's heart was left there.

(Interesting coincidental tidbit: Originally the song was to be "I Left My Heart in Seattle" but the author couldn't find anything in Seattle that rhymes with "halfway to the stars".)

christopher said...

From an article in today's Times:

"As anyone who has lived in New York longer than a few weeks knows, the past is easily discarded in this city. Buildings change, their contents shift, and eventually just about everybody who knew what was once where forgets or dies."

I think this captures, in a way, what appealed to me about SF. As a city, it seems to wear its history openly and proudly.

Alex said...

Openly and proudly, huh?