Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I Love New York

I Heart New York.

I Sideways V And 3 New York.

I All Of These Things New York.

But you know what would make New York even better?

Mountains.

Seriously. If there’s anything I’ve taken back from my few trips out west, it’s the strange power and magnificence of those large, jagged, snowcapped, pointy things just sticking out of the earth all over the place out there.

And it wouldn’t even need to be mountains with an s. One mountain would do the job just fine. Imagine it, gazing westward as the sun sets behind a big ol’ snowy mountain in New Jersey…



Now that’s what I’m talking about. It’d take what we’ve already got going here right on up to that next level of awesome and thank you and you’re welcome.

It really seems important and healthy for us, as humans, to be in the continual presence of some sort of natural, awesome force. One that requests a retraction of ego and a quiet acknowledgement of the great. Mountains do it, and so does the ocean, but New York has long since passed its old port days and it’s just flat out here all over. Stupid flat.

I tried explaining this to Geoff and he pointed out that New Yorkers may be sort of getting a mountain after all. A fun mountain. But I don’t know. It’s just not the same.

Guess there’s nothing to do but lock myself up in my room and watch Rumble In The Bronx. It’s been years since I’ve seen the movie, but one of the coolest parts of watching Jackie Chan woop so much Bronx-ass, is watching him do it in front of a beautiful skyline of Canadian mountains behind him. 'Cause hey, it’s not really a lie if you’re willing to believe it.

3 comments:

Baz said...

wow. pretty popular with the spambots, aren't we chris?

on the subject of mountains, however, we drove through the rockies to get to seattle- magnificent, spiritual, all those previously lame notions totally apply- and galcier national park is the most beautiful thing in the world. maybe you should just move manhattan there?

miss.marni said...

i worked in glacier national park for a summer, and yeah - it's totally gorgeous. i rode a horsie up into the mountains to a lake that was a color blue that i had not seen before and haven't since.
can we make a neon mountain, put it in times square and charge tourists $20 to take their photos next to it? that's the same thing, right?

Alex said...

"It really seems important and healthy for us, as humans, to be in the continual presence of some sort of natural, awesome force. One that requests a retraction of ego and a quiet acknowledgement of the great. "

But Chris, that's why, twice a week, I make you stare at my tremendous dong.