Monday, October 24, 2005

Signs That Its Your Last Week at Your Current Job

Background: I've been working at NYU's Graduate Musical Theater Writing Program for the past five years. We have almost fifty musical theater writers in residence, and I've met several hundred more. Several times a week, people call up to tell me, in a very impressed voice, that they've written a "very exciting" full length musical, and would one of our students be honored to help them work on it for free.

The ridiculous thing I want to point out here is that, by coming to this program, the students are already far more accomplished than 99% of the people that call in to tell me about their amazing musical.

Here's what happened today:

Lady: Hello, I've written a [pause for impressive emphasis] brand new full length musical.

Me: Gasp! [Intake of breath indicating that I've never been more impressed in my life]
She paused for a second, probably wondering whether I was being sarcastic or not, but continued anyway describing the unbelievable fact that she had written a musical (with her son, I want to point out, which they probably did while cuddling even though he's 45 years old).

This is something I've been wanting to do for five years. Cheers to me!

[Ed Note: This is possibly Part One of a series.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an idea I just had for a musical about a vegan lesbian who is dying of bird flu. All the songs will be classic advertising jingles . Showstopper is "Whole World In Her Hands".

Chris Serico said...

Streetcar!