Tuesday, October 10, 2006

YouTools

The other night, Geoff said to me, "You hate YouTube, right?"

And I replied that, no, I don't hate YouTube. I think it's an incredible resource, and I usually use it two or three times a day. What I don't like is how the quality doesn't seem to rise to the top, and the inane, boring videos do. That is, generally, the way of the world; general consensus leads not to bad or good, but the boring middle (see Pizza Hut & Dominos*).

In any case, this video of YouTube's founders talking about their recent acquisition by Google explains a LOT.


*In case you don't know what I mean by that: Pizza Hut and Dominos both did studies to find out how people liked their pizza; the crust, the cheese, the sauce, etc. And then they took the exact middle number from all of those studies, and made their pizza based on it. Hence, flavorless, limp, fluffy pizza.

3 comments:

Biz and/or Jordi said...

I have to say about You Tube, it brought me to tears last weekend as I steeped myself in childhood nostalgia...I'm not talking about looking up stuff like 'H.R. Puffenstuff' or old commercials, (the nostalgic norm) but some kind and lovely Australian took it upon himself to post roughly 40 - 50 music videos (hard to find ones) from Aussie bands I thought I would never, hear (let alone see) ever again. This music jarred me! GREAT bands that dissappeared (songs that stood the test of time) and awful one hit wonders that never made it out of Oz.

I thought it was all baseball bats to nuts and mentos and diet coke or cats wearing clothes, but I never thought I'd hear these songs again and I never thought I would be so incredibly thankful for You Tube.

-J.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, Fellatio Hut took the exact same marketing strategy with the exact same product quality

Anonymous said...

************************************
CUDJ*-O-METER
************************************
SCORE FOR THIS ENTRY: 2
BLOG 30 DAY AVG CUDJ: 1.2
************************************
* - COMMENTS UNTIL DICK JOKE