Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Flight Of The SportsCenter

Firstly and foremostly, watch "Flight of the Conchords" on HBO. I'll send you to their HBO page to remind you that you should be watching it. Here.

So I was watching a loooooooot of SportsCenter yesterday, as I do. When all of a sudden I hear Scott Van Pelt refer to a baseball player hitting a home run as "business time." This catches at my brain a bit, but a lot of things do, so I let it be.

Then, in a clip of a manager arguing with an umpire and being thrown out of the game, Van Pelt says "be more constructive with your criticism." And it finally hits me that this SportsCenter guy is quoting "Flight of the Conchords."

While this makes me happy, because "Flight of the Conchords" is great, I am also greatly perturbed because he's not attributing his quote. The least he could do is give a shout-out. And then it hits me that maybe he's not attributing his quote because he figures everyone knows about it already because it's really good, it's on HBO, it's just about in the Soprano's old slot and it's doing fine.

And so I end up happy and stay there.

TV rules!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

tv shows have timeslots?

Unknown said...

Remember when Kilborn's catch phrase was "Junmanji!" That was funny for a while.

Flight of the Conchords is funnier than Junmanji, the movie, anyway...

Geoffrey said...

Although I have mixed feelings about him now, I always liked Kenny Mayne's home run call:

"I am the king of all I survey! Bring your finest meats and cheeses for me and my men!"

missel said...

I have a question for you two baseball nerds:

Last week, ESPN chose as its Home Run Derby announcing squad the loudmouth/moron/moron team of Chris Berman, Dusty Baker, and Joe Morgan. Then, during the weekend, Baseball Tonight was manned by the loudmouth/moron/moron team of Steven A. Smith, Steve Phillips, and John Kruk. Which was worse?

I vote for the Berman/Baker/Morgan squad, because at least Kruk accidentally made a couple of good (though glaringly obvious) points, while Berman, Baker, and Morgan just said things like "yeah, he's a good home run hitter!"

By the way, there's no wrong answer.

Unknown said...

I actually like Steve Phillips (more Mets coverage/insight!) and John Kruk (think low ambition/low self-awareness)... But Stephen A. on Baseball Tonight? No no no no...

I like Berman, too...

missel said...

Ankur: Steve Phillips does not have any insight. John Kruk thinks that the Cy Young should automatically be awarded to the pitcher with the most wins in each league. Chris Berman want all baseball games to be home run derbies. Please rethink your answer.

Geoffrey said...

I like how Andrew said there was no wrong answer, when clearly there was. They're both wrong answers.

I will also go with Smith/Kruk/Phillips as my preferred team. Berman and Smith cancel each other's bombacity, Kruk and Morgan bascially cancel each other out for moronity and I like Phillips better than Baker.

Phillips is actually not a bad in-game analyst.

Unknown said...

If the three of us had to do a baseball broadcast, I would cast Andrew as the color analyst (because he has the most opinions), Geoff as the Erin-Andrews-type correspondent in the stands/postgame guy (sex appeal), and myself for the play-by-play (skinniest).

Andrew would be the Joe Morgan of our team!

Unknown said...

today (8-16/8-17), i think it was van pelt, tossed out another FotC reference ("he's the hip-hopapotamus, rocking this metropolis") and when asked by linda cohn where it came from, cited FotC and suggested she check it out.