First off, the big news is that Lost is, officially, a Sci-Fi show. With the introduction of radiation based time travel last night, I would say that means everything in the show will, by necessity, have to have a pseudo-scientific explanation. That's pretty big news, especially for those of us who wondered whether, A) Everything would eventually be explained, and B) A giant foot meant that they were on some sort of mythical place.
I think, pretty definitively, the answer to the first will have to be "yes," and the second is "no." So rock on.
Speaking of rocks, how about that Black Rock auction scene? Beyond Mr. Widmore, I feel like I recognized at least one other guy there, though I don't remember from what. And what was up with him being so helpful? Didn't he want Desmond away from Penny.
And finally, speaking of Penny... The last scene, on the phone, with the quick cutting: completely got to me. I felt manipulated and angry, but goddamn if that wasn't a fabulously put together scene. I would actually hold that up to Lost haters, and shove it in their faces: no other show has played around so much with the structure and format of an hour long drama as Lost has done, both in the long run, and in individual scenes.
- My gut tells me that Penny & Desmond are never going to get together, that Desmond will die heroically saving her or something. However, Lost history has shown that fated couples end up together in the end (Rose and Bernard). Lost ain't an a-hole about love the way Whedon is.
- The Hanso foundation is funded by auctioning off items from shipwrecks and whatnot on the island, hence Alvardo (sp?) Hanso's "discovery" of the Black Rock journal.
- The Black Rock Journal is definitely going to published in the real world, right?
- Here's a great one I heard: The piratey Others are from the Black Rock, and are still alive because of the time weirdness.
- Another great one: "The Sickness" that Rosseau warned everybody about in the first season is becoming unstuck in time. Which leads to the question, regardless... Why isn't anyone from 815 sick?
Friday, February 29, 2008