Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Am Trashcan: Cinnamon Sun Chips

So here's a funny nickname I have: Trash Can. I got this nickname because I like to make my friends laugh and have a good time, so I buy the weirdest food I can find at truck stops, and eat it. And in return for the all the fun I give them, they call me Trash Can. Unbelievable.

Anyway, for my birthday, the boys in Elephant Larry got me a trash can filled with ridiculous candy, and I thought it would be nice to share my disgusting odyssey with all of you. So each day, I'll eat and review a new piece of candy.



Cinnamon Sun Chips: I've already had a big lunch, and a large slice of chocolate cake, so I was looking for something in the trash can that was, hopefully, not too sweet, when I found this bag of cinnamon flavored Sun Chips.

I was actually having a conversation the other day with someone who was insisting that Sun Chips haven't created a new flavor in the past fifteen years, and it should stay that way. Though he's completely wrong, I'm not sure he's wrong enough that they should try branching out into desert chips.

This sounds about as appetizing to me as chocolate flavored Doritos*.

- Opening the bag doesn't do a whole lot to alleviate my worries, as they smell exactly like a mix between cinnamon, and healthy, savory grain chips.



- I'm really not looking forward to this.

- At first bite, they vaguely taste of cinnamon... But since they're Sun Chips, they're not dusted. The flavor is baked right in. The upshot is that you don't get cinnamon dust on your fingers. The downside is that they're kind of gross.

- Oh, yup, there's the salt. These are still salty.

- Yeah, there's the problem... These are exactly what I was worried they'd be. First bite, they're kind of like a churro. Second bite, they taste exactly like Sun Chips. The flavors do not mix. At all.

All in all, these aren't the worst thing I've ever tasted, but I would certainly never eat them again. Actually, the more I eat, the saltier they are, so scratch that. These are gross enough that I don't think I can finish the whole bag. I will, but I don't think I should. One trashcan out of five.



Previously: Flying Saucers



*Actually, I'm sure that would be fine. It would taste like mole sauce? Maybe?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand - is having more trashcans a good thing or a bad thing?

These chips kick ass: http://www.snackaisle.com/page/S/PROD/91112

They're pretty robust and prone to splintering b/c theyre so thick - i recommend eating them with safety goggles if there are other people in the room.

Alex said...

That's a really good question, Doug!

Alex said...

I was going to be a jerk, and not follow up, but in all honesty, trashcans are good.

These chips don't quite activate my gag reflex like the Flying Saucers do, so they get a little bit up from 'em. I have to admit, it was a hard decision to give these more than the half, though, because they're still salty cinnamon chips. Gross.

K said...

Between this feature and Jeff's Bruni-esque apple treatment, this is basaically my full-service blog.

Which reminds me: no mention of Braeburn?

Anonymous said...

On the Braeburn:

It's definitely worth a second look, that's for sure. As for big market apples that are supposed to be crisp, I still believe Fujis to be more reliable, and I prefer the slight woodiness of the Fuji to the Braeburn, which unfortunatley can occasionally taste a bit like the nosebleed-inducing Golden Delicious.

However, Braeburns definitely aren't bad. And they make very good applesauce.

A note on applesauce: always add Cognac. Your applesauce will thank you.

K said...

I've had bburns infrequently enough that I haven't noticed the inconsistency.

Though YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ABOUT STOREBOUGHT GOLDEN DELICIOUS(ES?), if you go to wholesale markets in the bronx, you can buy boxes of GDs that are AWESOME, actually crisp (with skin that isn't just like a wet paper towel), and have a spotted reddish-orange coloring to parts of them that is quite exotic. TRUST ME, thgey're very good. So, you know, the next time you need A BOX OF APPLES.

Anonymous said...

I will, with slight hesitation, take you at your word on this.

I find myself in the Bronx from time to time (my Mommy works there), so if I see a box of GDs, I will consider not fleeing in terror. :)