Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Am Trashcan: Chocolate Bacon

So here's a funny nickname I have: Trash Can. I got this nickname because I like to make my friends laugh and have a good time, so I buy the weirdest food I can find at truck stops, and eat it. And in return for the all the fun I give them, they call me Trash Can. Unbelievable.

Anyway, for my birthday, the boys in Elephant Larry got me a trash can filled with ridiculous candy, and I thought it would be nice to share my disgusting odyssey with all of you. So each day, I'll eat and review a new piece of candy.



I'm still getting a little caught up here, and back to the physical trashcan itself (yes, a trashcan full of candy has been sitting on my floor for several months. Deal with it), but in the meantime, here's another thing that was made the same day as the Breakfast Tacos: Chocolate Bacon.

I don't quite remember what the genesis of this was, but I do remember that it went as far back as our trip to Charleston two years ago. If someone wants to jog an old man's memory, he would be much obliged... The idea was simple: have chocolate covered bacon for breakfast.

The idea was made more complicated by the fact that it had to be hot bacon, covered in rock hard chocolate, or it wouldn't make sense. It's easy to melt chocolate on bacon, or put bacon in chocolate, then in the freezer over-night. It's harder to make fresh, crispy, hot bacon, and cover it in chocolate.

The reason this was finally made, the same day as the Breakfast Tacos, was that we had plenty of magic shell on hand. Oh, and also, I had a bunch of bacon sitting around. So I fried up about six strips, put it on a plate, and then drenched it with Magic Shell:



I will say, it took a good long while to actually harden, but once it did, boy oh boy... It was weird.

I'm a big fan of salty and sweet, so it wouldn't say this tasted bad. However, I also wouldn't say it tasted good. Probably the biggest problem was tasting soft, chewy fat under mounds of sickly sweet chocolate. I had two strips, but mainly because nobody else wanted to try any.

All in all, not a bad experiment. And I'd certainly try it again with better chocolate, and better bacon. Yeah, that would make the difference. Three trashcans.

4 comments:

miss.marni said...

i have to agree - i really think the problem was with the quality of the chocolate. i think something darker will be really great - magic shell was very watery and not flavorful enough to stand up to the bacon.

i'll try it again - how about if we drizzle some hershey's syrup on bacon? maybe getting closer?

Unknown said...

i'm kinda turing into I Am Trashcan's own Debbie Downer here, but you guy have got to try Praline Bacon. that is the exact right sweetness to go against bacon's savory-ness.

also, i have a magic shell question: when i was a kid, we always put it on COLD stuff (um, ice cream); does it harden the same way on HOT stuff? because that would be one magical brown liquid.

Anonymous said...

All I'm saying is you need to try this Vosges' Mo's Bacon Bar its in their exotic chocolate bar collection. You can find it at the Whole Foods in the Time Warner building but they sell out fast.

Digital Fortress said...

I love both chocolate and bacon, but would never have thought to combine the two. I would have thought the bacon grease and chocolate syrup would not mix well. I May have to give it a try now.